Open houses are a great opportunity for buyers to just look at houses. Here are some tips about how to do it right and even though lists should always be in multiples of 2 or 5 I decided to break the rules.
1. Take your shoes off. Wear shoes that are easy to get on and off.
2. If asked to sign in do so, you are in someone else’s house and they make the rules. If you do not want to leave an email address don’t.
3. If you are working with an agent let the agent at the open house know even if he or she doesn’t ask. Give the agent at the open house the name of your agent.
4. Keep an eye on your children do not let them run around the house unaccompanied.
5. Be careful what you say. Giving a the real estate agent too much information can hurt later on if you want to buy the house or another that the agent has listed. However it can be fun to listen to what other buyers are saying. 🙂
6. The agent at the open house may be very nice to you but they do represent the seller and are supposed to act in the sellers best interest.
7. The main reason an agent has an open house is to meet potential clients and that is why they may recommend other houses if you don’t like the one that is open.
8. The agent at the open may not be the listing agent. Sometimes it is another agent in the same office. That agent may or may not know the house.
9. If at all possible if you decide to buy the home you saw at the open get assistance from a buyers agent to avoid dual agency.
Keep in mind that only a very small percentage of the homes for sale have open houses. It is important to search for homes for sale on the internet and to view as many as possible on line. Make appointments for private showings to see the homes that are the best fit. Don’t wait for an open house because there might not be one and some houses sell the day they go on the market of sooner.