General

The mail box

mailbox

In recent months I have spent quite a bit of time at the home of my ancient parents. I have developed a whole new awareness of how we treat our oldest citizens.  Each month they receive solicitations from non-profits. They come in the mail and they look just like bills and they come each and every month.

It is possible for someone to mistake those requests for money as a bill. It is possible to stop that kind of mail and I have a bag full of it and am working on it.

In my household the mailbox is the source of most of the unwanted paper that enters our home and the biggest single source of trash. I know that delivering to our home gives someone a job and that the marketing materials themselves create jobs but I think I would be happier with no mail box at all.

If you have elderly parents or neighbors and if they will let you . . take a look at their mail and be outraged.

6 comments on “The mail box
  1. sd says:

My elderly mom seems to get every mail-order catalog that is published. Doesn’t seem to matter if she hasn’t ordered from them in years; their optimism persists.

My wife’s mom has a more-than-lifetime supply of return-address labels (who sends real mail anymore?) courtesy of fund-raisers, her insurance agent, and others.

One wonders if the direct-mail business will diminish or disappear when their current audience passes and Generation X gets older.

• Teresa Boardman says:

Don’t get me started on catalogs. They ARE making money on brightly colored plastic things. :) and clothing

2. Vance Shutes says:

When I took over the financial management of my mother’s household (after her dementia became progressed), I was shocked at both the financial outflow (about which my mother was blessedly unaware) and the solicitation inflow in the daily mail. I’m certainly glad that I don’t work for one of those solicitation mills, because I couldn’t stand the guilt of bilking the elderly of their money in the shameless manner that I have witnessed!

• Teresa Boardman says:

Agreed Vance and we need to unite and do something about the way so many companies pray on our parents.

3. Vance Shutes says:

The best way I’ve handled it is to remove all of the junk from the envelope, tear out my mother’s address info, and stuff it back in their postage-paid reply envelope, costing them a fortune in postage. Take that!

• Teresa Boardman says:

That might work but lets think about all the vulnerable adults out there that are being preyed upon by telemarketers and direct mailers.

Contact